Upcoming events

Joseph Stiglitz at RSA Scotland

RSA Scotland Angus Millar Lecture 2014 - Creating a Learning Society
26th Aug 2014, 18:30

In this year’s Angus Millar Lecture in Edinburgh, Nobel Laureate economist Professor Joseph Stiglitz argues that what truly separates developed from less-developed economies is not just a gap in resources or output, but a gap in knowledge. In studying how countries learn, we can unlock a new approach to growth, development and social progress.

hear Yuval Harari speak at the RSA

A Brief History of Humankind
9th Sep 2014, 13:00

Historian Yuval Noah Harari was awarded the Polonsky Prize for Creativity in the Humanistic Disciplines. His magnum opus 'Sapiens' challenges everything we know about being human – our thoughts, our actions, our power, and our future.

Vincent Deary speaks at the RSA

How We Are: Negotiating Change in Daily Life
11th Sep 2014, 13:00

Health psychologist Vincent Deary shows how much of our lives are lived automatically, according to beaten paths. How can we avoid becoming ‘habit machines’, and overcome our resistance to change, making our acts truly ours?

Hear Robert Cialdini at the RSA

Small Changes to Make a Big Difference
18th Sep 2014, 13:00

In the field of influence and persuasion, Robert Cialdini is the world’s most cited living social psychologist, and the author of the seminal work 'Influence'. He returns to the RSA to reveal the small changes that make the biggest impact when persuading others.

Listen to Peter Rees talk at the RSA

Knocking the Corners off the Square Mile
18th Sep 2014, 18:00

Professor of places and city planning Peter Wynne Rees describes the vision and strategy which transformed the City of London and considers how we reconcile the demands of the property industry with a range of issues in the public interest.

Francis Fukuyama speaks at the RSA

Political Order and Political Decay
24th Sep 2014, 13:00

Influential political scientist Francis Fukuyama tells the story of mankind’s emergence as a political animal, the development of state, law and democracy, and explores the modern landscape - with its uneasy tension between dictatorships and liberal democracies – arguing that in the US, and in other developed democracies, unmistakable signs of decay have emerged.

Danny Dorling speaks at the RSA about inequality

Inequality and the 1%
25th Sep 2014, 13:00

Leading social geographer Danny Dorling unpacks the latest research into how the lives and ideas of the 1 percent impact the remaining 99%.

Hear Susan Greenfield speak at the RSA

Mind Change
2nd Oct 2014, 13:00

Leading neuroscientist Susan Greenfield considers the vast range of technologies that are creating a new environment around us, and asks: how can we ensure these powerful forces bring out the best in us, and allow us to lead more meaningful, more creative lives?