The RSA takes the environment very seriously.You can view our environmental policies, which are in force throughout the organisation.
Therefore RSA House strictly monitors its use of unnecessary energy, regulating air-conditioning in public spaces and ensuring lights are kept switched off when not needed. From low energy bulbs, e-brochures, recycled products, using green energy providers and a water management system; the list goes on. We also encourage our clients to think about the environmental impact of their events.
By having your event at RSA House, you will be doing your part to support sustainability.
Sustainable food philosophy
Whether patrons join us for an intimate three course dinner, a feast for hundreds, a business lunch, the café of an RSA public event, The Vaults restaurant or Gerard Bar; the philosophy behind all of our cuisine remains the same:
Provide healthy, delicious food; and ensure that it is from sources which are sustainable and ethical.
- We reduce the amount of salt in our recipes, instead flavouring with herbs and spices
- Oil is not used excessively, and we try to use rapeseed oil which has less than half the saturated fat of olive oil
- The overuse of flour is avoided, particularly in sauces. When thickening is required we will use alternative gluten-free flour, suitable for most gluten-free diets
- Food is always simply prepared to highlight the taste and natural goodness of the ingredients
- We prepare all dishes fresh on site
- Whenever possible we use local suppliers to reduce our ‘food miles’ and guarantee the freshest produce, paying close attention to the seasonality of our food
- Union Hand Roasted, one of our boutique coffee suppliers, trade fairly and directly with coffee growers to maximise the profits of the farmers and ensure first pick of top quality beans
- All fish used in our menus are accepted as ‘good fish’ by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), and we have an outright ban on cod as it is unsustainable
- Our fish are caught on day boats, which avoids the damaging effect that trawling has on fish stocks and the ocean floor
- All eggs are from contented, free range chickens